Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Creatives Teaching Creativity


In the books and articles I have been reading and researching on Students as Designers a pattern has emerged.  In today’s world creative thinking and problem solving are a capital all leading countries are striving to obtain to create the next economic breakthrough.  The ability to think and create new ideas from existing patters occurs through multiple disciplines and be possessed for the survival in the future.  In the article Creatives Teaching Creativity the authors discuss how it is expected for teachers of creative disciplines such as the arts to teach and foster creativity skills it is not clear students are learning it.
I believe students need to be creating every opportunity the can.  Students need to be designing and problem solving through authentic problems.  The article Creatives Teaching Creativity almost argues that Creatives (people in creative fields) have a monopoly the ability to teach creativity.  I disagree.  I believe that creativity in certain disciplines can be fostered easier because of the abstract nature of the discipline but all teachers can teach students to design, to create, and problem solve.  The hurdles of being a teacher makes teachers creative and makes them problem solvers.  Teaching creativity and problem solving just needs to be practiced.  Teaching creativity can be messy and chaotic in world where  time is strictly regulated and test taking strategies rule supreme.   

2 comments:

  1. I have thought a lot about this too, Jon. Rather than teaching creativity, perhaps situating (I like your word 'fostering') learners in creative tasks in the context of disciplinary content, would offer that practice. It has to be practiced! Prior to my Master's experience, I would not say I was a creative person. I have a cautious disposition that does not lend itself to creativity. Learning something new for 2 years in the ITS program (pre DDLS) I now can put two seemingly different ideas together to make something new.
    One thing that has bothered me recently is how the word "innovative" is thrown about. Once in our alum magazine, the lead story was how Mason was such an innovative place, I agree with that, but the example used? Online learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting to know that across the country, students are lacking in their creative thinking and problem solving skills. That is a clear indicator that our educational system needs to be evaluated and adjusted so that students are learning, exploring and applying these skills. The rigorous standards are a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete

Creatives Teaching Creativity

In the books and articles I have been reading and researching on Students as Designers a pattern has emerged.   In today’s world creative...